Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default Lawn mower blades

On 5/11/2011 12:33 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
On May 11, 10:28 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

So, I get more than a whole year's worth of mowing from one set of
blades, and a new set of three is about $40. For me, at least, it's
worth it to get that "golf course" look in the front of my property.

Aside from the golf course look, what benefit do you derive from your
lawn? In my mind, the grass in front of my house is nothing more than
a weed. It serves no purpose whatsoever. If it was up to me, we'd be
growing edible vegetables instead (our vegetable garden is in the back
yard).
Here are some thoughts about the tremendous waste of resources and
money that go into a putting green front yard: http://www.primalseeds.org/lawns.htm

Some people have HOAs that say how the lawn must be maintained.

My [small] yard is crabgrass though. I think I sharpened the blade up a
bit in 2009. I use Roundup on the difficult edges so trimming with a
weedeater is not necessary. The weedeater is a 2-stroke, but it's not
the emmisions I care so much about--it's that since fuel left in the
weeder will always foul the carb, it has to be drained after every use
for it to start properly next time. Too much craptane in modern fuels
anymore.

I like to call lawn care "recreational farming".
Suburban people spend money on little machines and irrigation and
chemicals to plant, raise and harvest a tiny crop--that they don't
really do anything with. But they have fun with the challenge, and it
keeps them in the suburbs where they belong.

Eventually I plan to move to the US desert southwest, and my lawn is
going to be rocks and dirt. I'm just fine with that, quite frankly.
Among the highest form of comedies is people who move to a desert and
then spend money trying to grow a green lawn.