Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Lawn mower blades

On May 11, 10:28*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

So, I get more than a whole year's worth of mowing from one set of
blades, and a new set of three is about $40. *For me, at least, it's
worth it to get that "golf course" look in the front of my property.

Aside from the golf course look, what benefit do you derive from your
lawn? In my mind, the grass in front of my house is nothing more than
a weed. It serves no purpose whatsoever. If it was up to me, we'd be
growing edible vegetables instead (our vegetable garden is in the back
yard).

My office is in my house. There are days when I can't leave the
windows open because of the more-or-less continuous noise and smell
from the landscapers. 5 guys with leaf blowers and giant riding mowers
to deal with a 50'x100' lot (with a house on it) is pretty excessive,
but that's the norm around here. I mow my lawn in about 5 minutes,
using a hand trimmer to get around the trees (another two minutes) and
I'm done.

People ask why there are more birds and butterflies in my yard than in
theirs. They don't seem to understand the evils of monoculture (see
Irish potato famine) and chemical herbicides and pesticides. One
neighbor (across the street) just planted tomatoes in front of her
house. Very nice, but they are in a garden bed that her landscaper
poisons every week. Sheesh. She's also a couple of weeks early putting
in the tomatoes - the nights still get pretty cool here, but she'll
learn.

Here are some thoughts about the tremendous waste of resources and
money that go into a putting green front yard: http://www.primalseeds.org/lawns.htm