Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Lawn mower blades

Steve B wrote:
"Wayne" wrote in message
My lawn mower blades get dinged up real good by sticks and small rocks.
Grinding them takes me a long time, 2 blades, 4 edges.
Is there any reason why I couldn't set up the angle in the mill
and clean them up with an end mill?
I would think this would be a lot faster.
I could always grind in the final edge.

If this isn't a good idea, then everyone should forget I asked a stupid
question.

I saw one of those programs on cutting devices, and the blades for those
machines that eat anything were sharpened with some very simple grinders
mounted at the proper angle.

But then, how would one test the proper angle on an actual lawn, and how
would you know when you had it just right?

I'd start with 20 degrees (I think) - that's the angle you're suposed to
hold your Boy Scout knife while stoning it.

But I once bought a mobile home that came with the mower, and the blade
was BLUNT! A buddy across town had a wheel that he mounted in his hand
drill, and eyeballed it, and it made a world of differencce!

Cheers!
Rich