Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Lawn mower blades

Wayne wrote:

My lawn mower blades get dinged up real good by sticks and small rocks.
Grinding them takes me a long time, 2 blades, 4 edges.
Is there any reason why I couldn't set up the angle in the mill
and clean them up with an end mill?
I would think this would be a lot faster.
I could always grind in the final edge.

If this isn't a good idea, then everyone should forget I asked a stupid
question.

Actually, it sounds brilliant! I once spent almost two days standing in
front of the bench grinder making a blade from scratch out of a piece
of spring steel, 3" x 1/4" (about the size of a mower blade). But I
admit I'd be a little reluctant to cut spring steel on a mill; but
ordinary A36 or even O1 should be a snap. And you could get that
"hollow ground" effect by using the right size of ball end mill. :-)

Have Fun!
Rich