Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Lawn mower blades

On 05/09/2011 04:10 PM, Wayne wrote:
My lawn mower blades get dinged up real good by sticks and small rocks.
Grinding them takes me a long time, 2 blades, 4 edges.
Is there any reason why I couldn't set up the angle in the mill
and clean them up with an end mill?
I would think this would be a lot faster.
I could always grind in the final edge.

If this isn't a good idea, then everyone should forget I asked a stupid
question.

I've seen someone here report on doing it just that way for commercial
mowers.

Given that the blades seem to be fairly soft (and that they need to be,
as one may not want one's blade to fracture), trying to get the World's
Sharpest Edge on one's lawn mower blade may just be a waste of time
after the first 100 blades of grass get cut.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services