Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Small Motor Seasonal Starting Saga Solved?

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

(...)

A good friend of mine spent time helping to build the
Trans Alaska Pipeline. He did oil changes on the heavy
equipment.

While it was running.

--Winston

That's tricky, I'll bet. I wonder how you'd know if the oil you were
draining wasn't the same oil you were putting in.

I suspect that a portion of it *was*.
I also suspect that Alyeska had access to lots of cheap motor oil.
He never mentioned details, though it would not surprise me to
learn that there was a system of valves allowing the change to
be done *fairly* safely and efficiently.

--Winston