Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Small Motor Seasonal Starting Saga Solved?

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
wrote:

(...)

Normally, I stop warming when the casting is detectably warm to the
touch, probably ~ 100 - 150 F.

It makes the 'nearly impossible' easy.

--Winston-- Keeps an extinguisher handy, too.

Or use a heat gun?

Much safer. Thanks!

This is further support for the theory that the issue is the
evaporation
of volatile components of the gas.

That is what I was thinking. I remembered the bad old days of
carburated cars, when winter starts were difficult and summer
starts were relatively easy. I envisioned raw gas puddling in
the cylinder vs. gas vapor doing the 'ignition thing'.

--Winston

Mostly it just condensed on the cylinder walls and stripped the oil off
of
them, and then ran down into the crankcase. It kept the lubricating oil
companies in business.

Ouch!

A good friend of mine spent time helping to build the
Trans Alaska Pipeline. He did oil changes on the heavy
equipment.

While it was running.

--Winston

That's tricky, I'll bet. I wonder how you'd know if the oil you were
draining wasn't the same oil you were putting in.

--
Ed Huntress