Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Motor Seasonal Starting Saga Solved?

On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:50:31 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I have a lawnmower and a snowblower, both from Honda, and both are hard
to start at the beginning of their season. The lawnmower is the worst
offender, by far, so I'll focus on it.

The redneck would ask "Where yew at?"

Have you tried using non-ethanol premium gas in those? I've heard
that the ethanol attracts moisture and can cause problems.

And, reading the manual, you'd think that 3 pumps on the primer bulb
would charge the carb. Think again. I crank that puppy 30 times
(briggs mower) before attempting to start it and it goes on the first
pull every time.

My Honda 190 pressure washer goes on the third pull after the winter
layup, um, when I remember to turn the switch on.

I'm still using ethanol/gas and having no problems whatsoever with any
of my beasties after 5 months of rain and cold in Oregon. I usually
fill up at the local Fred Meyer grocery store's gas station. They run
a tanker in there a couple/three times a week, so I know it's fresh
gas. I lost a couple MPG when Oregon switched to ethanol blend,
damnit. What a loser fuel _that_ is...

--
The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil
wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those