Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default cutting 6 x 6 beams with miter saw ???

On May 7, 7:25*am, "James" wrote:

Harry, I will not use a chainsaw, because as I said, I have seen steps cut
with a chainsaw and I don't like the look. *Perhaps most folks would, but I
don't, and my project will look better when it is completed.

I think you're assuming a couple of things about chainsaws and their
use that are affecting your opinion. I have seen tile jobs that
sucked - doesn't mean that I think all tile jobs suck. Most people
are not looking for joinery-quality cuts when they whip out a
chainsaw. They're looking for down and dirty, and probably have a
worn chain, so it's no surprise that what you saw was down and dirty -
yours doesn't have to be. Invest the money in the correct tool.
http://www.timbertools.com/Products/...saw-guide.html
or, if you want slower so you can enjoy the experience on the hillside
for longer
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5402NA-.../dp/B0000614UR

BTW, you are simply kidding yourself about the cut ends of the ties.
Unless you're popping for the $ for cedar, you're going to be getting
PT 6x6s and they'll have splits, checks, and big knots. Even if your
cuts were perfect the whole job would still look like it was made from
lumber with splits, checks, and big knots. You're mentally gilding
the lily before you start which is a perfect recipe for a big
letdown. I advise you to adjust your thinking.

And, the purpose of the drill press has nothing to do with drill accuracy....
it has to do with speed and manpower. * I have MANY steps thurs many holes
to drill for these steps.... * *I think that drilling perhaps 400-500 holes
ten inches deep, would justify "considering" a drill press.

Again - you're simply kidding yourself. Lugging a drill press up and
down and on top of whatever needs to be drilled is pointless in your
application. The ties are drilled in place and you don't need a
perfectly perpendicular hole, you need a straight hole that's
relatively perpendicular. Any heavy duty D-handled 1/2" drill will do
the job. Use an extension for the drill bit so you don't have to bend
over to drill the holes. The weight of the drill will feed the bit -
you just have to keep it from rotating.

I still think you should do it with hand tools. They build moral
fiber.