Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default cutting 6 x 6 beams with miter saw ???

On 5/7/2011 8:53 AM, DanG wrote:
James, I am not aware of any drill press capable of 10" quill
stroke. I think you will definitely be in the portable drill
market. The big decision will be whether to work with a ship
auger or speed bores with extension.

You might consider using a reciprocating saw for the timber cuts
if you do not find a chainsaw acceptable.

Agreed. He is making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Even
if he had a giant chop saw and wide-mouth drill press, I suspect that
after hoisting and supporting the first half-dozen timbers to cut and
drill them, he would be looking for another solution. An electrician's
drill with and auger or long spade bit, and a small chainsaw, is what we
used back in the stone age. A speed square and an old screwdriver, to
scribe the cut lines, helps. Fit one end, mark the other end, shove a
brick under it to keep the blade out of the dirt, and cut. Once timber
is in place, drill the slightly undersize hole through the first timber
into the second, and pound in the rebar peg with a BFH.

Only time we did fancy smooth cuts and used threaded rod or bolts, was
for the pretty stuff up on the deck, which wasn't made from landscape
timbers.

Yes, a Sawzall or clone would work and produce a prettier cut, but it
would be a lot slower than a chainsaw. (The framing crews decking out
the roofs on the apartments I worked on as a kid, used a chainsaw to cut
off the wild ends on the decking. 3 stories up, strolling along with no
safety harness. Those guys were all young and immortal, but I never saw
one fall.)

--
aem sends...