Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default cutting 6 x 6 beams with miter saw ???

James, I am not aware of any drill press capable of 10" quill
stroke. I think you will definitely be in the portable drill
market. The big decision will be whether to work with a ship
auger or speed bores with extension.

You might consider using a reciprocating saw for the timber cuts
if you do not find a chainsaw acceptable.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"James" wrote in message
net...
Harry, I will not use a chainsaw, because as I said, I have seen
steps cut with a chainsaw and I don't like the look. Perhaps
most folks would, but I don't, and my project will look better
when it is completed.

And, the purpose of the drill press has nothing to do with drill
accuracy... it has to do with speed and manpower. I have MANY
steps thurs many holes to drill for these steps.... I think
that drilling perhaps 400-500 holes ten inches deep, would
justify "considering" a drill press.

James