Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default What are the best kitchen counter materials

On May 5, 4:03*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 5/05/11 3:49 PM, Jim in Milwaukee wrote:
On 5/5/2011 2:18 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/5/11 9:56 AM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Others I missed?

We're considering polished concrete.
It can be tinted and have any aggregate you like.

With granite, stone, concrete etc., I would check the floor joists to
make sure they can handle to load.

Just a thought.

Cancel the thought, you have a house of cards if that is an issue.

Structural failure isn't a real concern, but increased load =
increased bounce, and that can be annoying. If the weight is added
around the perimeter of the room it's rarely if ever an issue. A
large cabinet island with a stone or concrete top in the middle of the
room can make things bouncy. Rattling dishes yell 'cheap
construction' whether that's the case or not.

It is good practice to double check the situation with the floor
joists. Yahoo plumbers might have taken a 3" notch out of the bottom
of some joists instead of drilling a two inch hole. I've seen similar
things too many times.