Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default They buried Osama at sea? WTF!?!!!!???

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 5/3/2011 12:10 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
I read your attached but I see no validation of cell phones working in a
fuselage. The article is full of "could", "possibly" and "if" but no
actual validation to indicate it will function. Some reports indicate
cell
signals work very intermittently in a fuselage. Many factors would be
involved but never for more than a few seconds at a time.

Ok, try Googling "do cellphones work in airplanes". You'll find many
sources
saying that they do, including this:

"The FCC rule, 47 CFR 22.925, prohibits the use of cell phones after the
aircraft leaves the ground. This rule applies to all aircraft whether
commercial or private or whether powered or simply a balloon. The FCC
rule
applies only to cell phones..."

If they work on the ground, so much for 600 MHz+ signals not getting in
and
out of an airplane.

A little Googling makes it clear that many, many people have used them. I
didn't spend any time on it, but there is this"

"...the Federal Aviation Administration has conducted studies indicating
that despite the warnings from flight attendants, an average of one to
four
cell phone calls are made from commercial flights in the United States."

I remember people talking on cell phones from planes when I was flying a
lot, around 1990. I did it. We all did it, until it was outlawed.

As the quote stated it was from a pilot. That should have not been
confused with another statement.

I believe that cells would work near the ground. The airspeed would be
slower, the windows (RF portholes) would align with the antennae better
and the antennae signals would be channeled more at the mobile cell
handset.

OTOH: These hijacked flights would have been closer to the ground than a
regular flight so despite the logic and multiple persons telling us it
can't work the jury is still out for transmission capabilities. The cell
switching speed is still an unknown and I doubt the switching logic
could
handle cells changing that fast. There are parameters in the switching
logic that take time to be sure, it is time, for the cell to switch
frequencies and relock with the next cell. I haven't found satisfactory
evidence of this online, yet, other than a 400ms blank out time. I
believe
I have experienced this myself when switching cells.

I still maintain (as well as many others) the plane was shot down and
the
cell phone conversations are lies to make the heroic story possible . No
other scenario would be possible.

Oh. If you had said that up front, I wouldn't have bothered responding.

Carry on. Don't forget your tinfoil hat. 8-)

Ed,

I have made my living in RF communications for many years, with a fair
number of those years designing aircraft installations. The technical
supposition that cellphones don't work at altitude is ludicrous. Youtube
is not a technical reference. I suggest that you take advantage of your
killfile for this poster, and drop the local noise floor.

Kevin Gallimore

Having done it myself, and remembering how half the airplane's passengers
pulled out their cellphones upon approach to Newark before 1991, I knew from
experience that he's wrong. But there's nothing wrong with being wrong,
unless a poster adds insult to their ignorance, like Gunner and company, by
calling people who disagree "stupid," "libtard," or whatever.

But when I saw he was a Truther I shut him off. You can't correct that.
Conspiracy theorists tend to be immune to facts.

So, we'll see how he goes.

--
Ed Huntress