Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On 5/2/2011 6:22 PM, RBM wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 5/2/2011 5:24 PM, RBM wrote:

--** If you look in 250-140 of any newer code book is shows what "was"
acceptable for electric dryers

Could be; I don't have a copy...

Doesn't really matter; the old rules are no longer in effect but did seem
worthy to correct the idea that somehow all those earlier installations
were not Code-compliant at the time and only were allowed by (essentially)
dishonest inspections passing violations.

--
** What we have here, is a total misconception of the code on the part of
some of these posters. The rules for non insulated neutral/ground use on

Roger...wasn't clear on the SE rating earlier, thanks for pointing it
out....hmmm...looking at earlier posting I see the way I paraphrased
wasn't really good in indicating that the run does have to be service
cable SE-rated as well as the no branching rule--I was focused on the
bare connector part too much from wording earlier.