Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

On Mon, 2 May 2011 10:07:07 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On May 2, 12:45*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm guessing a lot of people will have the old dryer hauled
off, taking the three prong plug with it. They will then buy
a new four prong dryer, and find out that the plug doesn't
fit the recepticle. That will create a bit of confusion.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc"
wrote in ...

in a house around here is #2 which I often use for
stoves. Moving an old
dryer to a new location has us removing the old 3 wire
cord and plug for
the 4 wire cord and plug.

TDD

Actually 10/2 with a three prong plug was acceptable for
dyers for a
long time. *Dryers have a metal strap inside them that
connected
neutral and ground together. *The code now calls for a 4
prong plug
and 10/3 with ground now. *But I'll bet there are still
millions of 3
prong installations out there. *I don't know if replacing
the dryer
meet the code requirement to upgrade to 10/3 since you are
not
actually touching the circuit any. *Existing circuits do not
have to
be upgraded to meet newer code releases.

Every time I have bought a dryer it did not come with a cord. If the
old dryer was broken, usually was, I used the cord from it. Though I
tend to buy basic no frills appliances so maybe when you spend more
you get a cord :-)

I bought a dryer two years ago at Sears. It too did not come with a
cord. If you bought a dryer over a set amount, you get the delivery
free. I told the sales guy that I had an existing dryer. I would
like to have the delivery guys remove the old dryer, I would change
the cord, they could then set the new dryer and haul the old one away.

Since the delivery guys only subbed for Sears, the sales guy gave me a
cord at the store for free. He said that he did not want any problems
with the delivery guys having to wait for me to change the cord. I
think the cord would have been around 30 bucks.