Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Can you use white for one leg of 240V circuit?

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 5/1/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
OK, here'e the questiond du jour. Was helping a friend and when we
took off the circuit breaker panel cover we discovered that for both
AC units, whoever did this used white for one of the 240V hots. There
is no tape or tag to identify it as a hot. Is this allowed by code?
Even if it is, seems bad practice to me. I would have used either red
or black.

If you see a 10/2 with ground hooked to a two pole breaker on one end and
disconnect for an AC condensing unit, water heater or dryer plug
on the other end, you pretty much know that the white wire is another
240 volt leg.

I agree with you, although, you should NEVER have a 10/2G feeding an
electric dryer, unless you can find a piece of 10/2 SEU copper, which I've
never seen.
Despite the code, it is extremely rare that I ever see the white wire
remarked