Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Name of plug in US

On May 1, 5:03*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 22:53:28 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

* The push on connectors were the 'G' series, and designed to be
matable with the 'F' series.

Not exactly. *The "G" series was contrived to provide a connector
suitable for passing up to 15A of current. *The cable companies have
always powered line amps from DC on the cable. *That was fine with
semi-rigid coax and compression connectors that could handle the
current. *However, when the amps shrank in size, a newer smaller
connector was needed. *That was the Type G connector.
http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/typeg.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB51003571617F&

* *The 'G' connector was mostly used on modules in CATV line amps and
MATV headend modules to plug in band splitters, single channel strip
amplifiers or other items. *They had to make a very good connection, and
there was no room to use something like a BNC connector. *Not only did
the connectors have to pass power to amplifier modules, they provided
all the mechanical mounting for the modules. *The final requirement was
no RF leakage, even though there were no threads.

Most places selling them are absolutely clueless, like selling DE9
*Mass marketing to, for and by idiots.

Well, lets see what Google can offer. *Searching for DE9, I get
70,100,000 hits, while DB9 returns 8,830,000 hits. *So about 12% are
clueless.

* *Do a search for "Small Computer Serial Interface" for another laugh.
It gives over 70K hits but a few years ago it was over a half million,
including the website of a college in their computer course. *I emailed
them to point out the bad information and was told that "That is an old
page, and we don't update those."

Actually, it should be DE9S or DE9P, but that's being picky.

* *It describes the shell size and number of possible contacts. The S or
P tells which half. It would be rare to find someone who only carries
one half, wouldn't it?

* If you want real fun, try to buy a 'HN' connector over the counter at
a wholesaler. ;-)

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/hn.asp?N=0&sid=4DBB510041D4E17F&
Hi-V. *I've never seen or used one. *There are plenty of other obscure
connectors.

* *RCA used them in their TV transmitters. *I had a couple new, Amphenol
still in the bags I picked up surplus when I worked in Broadcasting.

The RF industry is full of specialized connectors. *There was one
connector found on many wireless cards where I couldn't find a mating
plug. *It turned out that there wasn't a mating plug. *It was a test
connector with a conical entry.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/WG511.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

WE DONT CARE FOR YOUR INPUT.
CONTROL YOUR MADKED ID TROLLING, YOU TWO FACED FREAK.
GO ATTEND YOUR ANTI-GOVERNMENT WEBPAGE AND LEAVE US ALONE.

NOTE THAT YOUR NAME HAS BEEN MENTIONED IN A POLICE REPORT.
IT WOULD SERVE YOUR BEST INTEREST TO APPLY YOUR COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE TO
ENDING THE HARASSMENT CAMPAIGN YOU STARTED AGAINST MR. QUIJANO OR BE
ENJOINED IN A CRIMINAL LAWSUIT WITH THE KNOWN SUSPECTED CYBER-STALKING
INDIVIDUALS ACCOUNTS.

TGITM