Everett M. Greene

Default Shipping job oversears & bringing workers here??

Joe Willmann writes:
Silvan wrote
CW wrote:

Your not alone, Silvan. A friend of mine has a masters in
anthropology. He drives a truck for living. College counselors
should tell their students what their job prospects are going to be
in a particular field. Instead, they fill classes and keep teachers
working.

I was listening to the radio a couple of days ago. There was a woman
talking to an advise guy. She had financial problems and was in real
debt. She owed about $35,000. Something like this - 20K for student
loans, 7K for automobile and the rest on credit cards.

So he asked her what she did. She is a waitress in a restraunt.
Something like TGI Fridays or such.

He asked about her student status. She graduated two years ealier with
a BA in performing arts!

You know, I understand the desire to go to school and study something
"fun". But if you can't make a living at it, it isn't a carear it is a
hobby. You have to pay for hobbies as you go.

Borrowing 20K to get an education in performing arts should be against
the law. Her parents ought to sue the school, the professors and the
bank that loaned her the money.

Actually she ought to sue her parents for letting her do such a stupid
thing.

There's always been a question about studying for degrees in non-
professional fields. I once had a young neighbor who was thinking
about giving up on the Army as a career and asked me what he might
be able to do with his history degree. I wasn't able to suggest
any single thing for him. Even my engineering degree hasn't proven
to be worth much once I got past 50.

At least the young ladies have motherhood and home management as
low-cost alternative careers. [Ducking for cover if any such
should read this!]