Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Old style filament lamps?

On Apr 28, 9:53*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
*"William Sommerwerck" wrote:
British CFLs must be of very poor quality, because you can get
excellent ones in the US. They come instantly -- faster than
incandescent -- and have good color balance.

You buy CFLs that come on faster than an incandescent? Would
like to see a pic of the packaging so I know what to look for at HD.
I'm just a tad skeptical. Do you know the color temp?

I've been using Home Depot's store brand -- EcoSmart -- for several years..
Consumer Reports recently gave them a very high rating.

No color temp or rendering quality is specified. But the balance is on the
warm side. It's acceptable (in my opinion) for non-critical color
photography.

Probably warm / soft white; any other fluorescent is
horror movie lighting. If you don't have the color temp
spec, hold a lit, known temperature bulb next to it and
see if it looks redder, bluer, or the same.