Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:10:45 -0500, Ignoramus30510

On 2011-04-20, Jon wrote:
On 04/17/2011 07:35 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Sitting can agravate some kinds of back problems, and the pain can be
there or lower (like in the legs or hips).

YEAH! When I screwed up my back some years ago, I had a Toyota Corolla.
Normally, the seat didn't bother me any, but when my back was in bad
shape, that seat could leave me practically crippled after driving
to/from work. I rolled up a jacket and set it in the angle between
seat- and back-part of the car seat, and it helped immensely. It just
changed the tilt of my pelvis when sitting there, and made a big difference.

Anyway, I hope Iggy's back is starting to clear up, it was NO FUN when I
had that problem. I just lived with it, and it got essentially
completely better, but I have to watch out to not overstress whatever it
is there that is now a weak spot.

Jon

Jon, thanks, it is much better today, it is the first day when I do
not have major discomfort.

Glad you are feeling better but I must ask, did you follow advice given
here and go to a chiropractor or acupuncturist??

I did not.

The point I'm getting at here is that chiropractic and acupuncture are
quackery and, if you had gone to either, you may have concluded that the
improvement you are seeing now was a result rather than the natural
course of events now that you have 1)removed yourself from the original
cause of the pain, and 2) waited a while for the swelling to subside
naturally.

I agree.

Quacks make great use of the fact that most (90%?)illnesses and disease
will resolve itself given removal of the original cause and passage of
time. Anyhow, the taking of an anti-inflammatory, in moderation, can be
helpful in speeding the recovery process but, if the condition returns,
even with moderate load on the back, I would go to an actual doctor i.e
a physician for further treatment as required. He may refer you to a
physiotherapist or prescribe other medications but at least you will
have confidence that scientific medicine is being utilized rather than
snake oil.

PS, I know what it's like and I advise anyone who cares to listen to
take care of your back because if you abuse it (or even if you don't),
back problems can be a lifetime sentence.

I think that what I have no is periods of no exercise, followed by
lifting something extremely heavy for me, like an engine or a big
whatever.

This is not healthy.

I should exercise regularly so that my back muscles are strongly and
the back is better supported.

I say you are right - just take it easy getting into the exercise
regimen - seeing a physiotherapist to learn the right exercises to
strengthen the right parts of the back first might be a good move,
too.

I stay away from the "back-benders" - saw one the last time I had a
back issue - it felt GREAT for 1/2 an hour after each of the 2
treatments - but if anything worse the next day.

I relaxed for a few days, then I HAD to go shovel some snow - I took
it easy, and in about 10 minutes I was "warmed up" and the pain left,
as fast as it had come a week earlier.