Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:48 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

On Apr 19, 1:21 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Typical, you snipped everything when you reply.

Sorry - did I stuff up a coherent reply by doing that - apologies,
please tell me what vital thing I left out.

if you got done by (type 2? - not sure) diabetes, then you got the
short end of the stick. You didn't have time to stuff yourself up
physically. . At least, not properly.

Mate, lifting big console tv's ended in the 70's - is this some sort
of memory of how tuff you were, or just a random rant? Or something
you did for a few weeks while you did something else? -give some
context here. how long did you do it, was it more than work
experience?

I did it from the mid '60s till the early '80s. i started at 13,
part time in a TV shop.

Keep making a fool of yourself, we're all used to it.

Thank you - from you, thats appreciated. I aim to be consistent, one
of the basic rules of philosophical debate. Happy to post the rest of
the rules, been codified for several hundred years now - you do know
this, dont you.?....where were you educated?

My formal education ended with high school. I taught myself
electronics from magazines and used college EE textbooks. Apparently I
did a good job, because I tested out of a three year engineering course
in the Army and was later awarded a letter of commendation for doing
work that supposedly couldn't be done outside of the AFRTS service depot
in Sacramento. I wrote some ECOs on the equipment at my last job, and
several of the engineers wanted to know why I didn't have an EE degree.

The only other education I received was basic training to kill with a
M16 and cold weather survival, in Alaska

(this is why social skills and basic literacy is now a mandated part
of most engineering courses, they finally realised Engineers where
social idiots)

Engineers with 'social skills' end up in sales, because they aren't
good engineers. Good engineers just want to be left alone, and get the
job done. The only anti social engineer I ever worked with wasn't with
the company for very long. He came highly recommended, but was
absolutely useless. For instance: He wanted to change our inventory
system by assigning a single part number to parts. He smiled and said
"For example: 10K resistors would have 103 for a part number". He got
extremely ****ed off when I pointed out that we had seven different
types of 10K resistors in our current inventory.

You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Yep, still true.
Duct tape is pretty good tho. Abrade the surface so it can key to it
- - you actually ever DONE anything? - this aint about your suburban
ego, mate. This is the real world, not some cosy comfortable VDU
screen...and the Chardonnay Swilling Bourgeois just get in the bloody
way...come the revolution.....

Sigh. I was a TV broadcast engineer at three TV stations. The first
was in the US Army. The second was at a 5 MW EIRP UHF station with a
transmitter site near Orange City, Florida. The tower was 1749 feet AAT
and had a freight elevator for maintenance. There were two TV stations,
five FM radio stations and a lot of trunked radio and government
repeaters. I built the third station with a 'heavy iron' 1952 RCA UHF
transmitter that weighed around 10,000 pounds. I dismantled it,
transported it from Central Florida to the Florida panhandle and
reassembled it.

I owned and ran an industrial electronics repair business for several
decades. Everything from sound systems to industrial controls. I had
three school systems under contract for all their electronic repairs,
and a lot of business called be when something failed and their
production line was down. I even repaired electrical problems on
forklifts and some heavy earth movers after other people had screwed
them up.

I owned and ran a computer store for several years, but the location
wasn't very good and the landlord was a pain.

I was building telemetry equipment for the aerospace industry when my
health failed. NOAA, NASA, ESA and other agencies bought their equipment
from us. Most of it was large, heavy and built to last for decades of
continuous service. Some was fairly lightweight, and was picked by NASA
to be put aboard the ISS. My official title was production test tech,
but I worked with every department in the plant. When there was a dirty
job, or new product, it hit my bench, or I was sent to engineering to
solve the problems.

Reality is that I am in pain 24/7 and only have two or three
productive hours a day. I don't drink. I had a couple beers in the
early '70s, and didn't finish either can.

I recently picked up a 70+ pound computer monitor from my office
computer table and set it on the floor. No easy place to hold on to it,
but I handled it OK. I was still able to load 200 pound empty relay
racks by myself a couple years ago, but I haven't needed to recently.

I collect & repair old computers to give away, and that includes some
heavy monitors. I have to lock my left knee to walk without a cane, but
still manage just fine.

I was a few years from retirement age when my health failed.

IOW, I lead a very productive life.

Now. Have YOU ever done anything?