Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Josepi[_17_] Josepi[_17_] is offline

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

You seem to be very political aware so you probably already know where most
of Canada is at.

Our system is about the same as the US except we pushed out metric a little
harder for a while. There was a case of a gas station owner selling in
"Imperial gallons" and he was taken to court over it, where the judge said
something like "I don't care what you sell it in as long as it is defined"
and that was the end of forcing metric down our throats....too bad in some
repstecs but until we get the bog bad wolf US to convert we are in a mixed
bag for most users.

I always say the wood industry won't convert until the sheet of ply wood
starts to go metric sizes. You can't space sruds at some metric size when
sheet goods are still 4x8'. 2x4s.. who cares if they are 184 x 235mm or
whatever? As long as the delivery truck sends all the same sizes...LOL

You guys (the US) seem to get screwed by the French every time. Reading the
history the French like to devise standards, you guys jump in and then they
change it all and the rest of the world seems to follow on another standard.
The same thing happened on the short and long scale counting systems but it
always appears to be the French devised systems. They must be obsessed with
the length of their dicks and constantly need a new measurement system...LOL

You can tell the extent of your leadership prowess by the number of peoples
that are ****ed off at you. Better you than us!

Have a good one!
------------------
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...
I think you'll find that most countries, not just Canada (or the US) do not
use the SI system universally, even though they use the metric system.
France may be an exception, but then, they usually are. d8-)

The whole metric issue in the US is not well understood by people from other
countries. Most of our big-time manufacturing is fully metric. The small
shop owners here who do contract jobbing will tell you that they are working
in metric as much as in inch (we don't call it "Imperial," because it's
really not), or, if they serve the automotive, medical, or aerospace
industries, they are almost exclusively metric. This has been true for
decades.

There are two reasons for using metrics. One is the ease of working with
formulas that involve multiple units -- force, distance, mass, etc. That's
of more importance in science and engineering research, where we are fully
metricized. The other reason is cross-border compatability. In those cases,
where it matters, we use metrics. But it usually doesn't matter. If you were
buying an American toaster (if we still made toasters) in Italy, you
wouldn't care much if the screws in it were metric or inch. But we'd
probably be using metric fasteners, anyway.

As for using metrics versus inch in a metalworking shop, it doesn't really
matter at all. Most of the units you're using are linear dimensions, and it
hardly matters which base you start with for that. Angles, speeds, etc. are
non-dimensional (degrees) or based on universal units (hours, etc.), so it's
irrelevent for those measurements.

It's a tempest in a teapot. People from other countries are ****ed off at us
because we won't jump on their one-world bandwagon. But they're always
****ed off at us, anyway. d8-)