Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead free solder

"WangoTango"

Depends on where you are and if the device is yours or not.
Here in the US we can use real solder that really works, so no issue.
If you live where lead free is a commercial reality, who is going to
know if you use good old 60/40 (63/37) to fix your own stuff?

** Who is likely to ever know or care a hoot if it is not your own stuff ??

The only people who KNOW for sure if some product has Pb free solder in some
or all locations is the *******s who made it. And none of them are traceable
years after it is sold.

I mean the ACTUAL people - in China or wherever.

A product may be legitimately labelled " RoHS Compliant " though full of
leaded solder - cos it complies by exemption.

Marshall Amplification applied and got an exemption for the use of CdS cells
in their amps (even a few micrograms of Cadmium is verboten) - how
****ing absurd.

Strangely, Fender have obtained no such exemption are forced to no longer
use such cells in amps sold into Europe.

An elaborate PCB, fitted with numerous IC is fitted to TUBE amplifiers to
comply.

How ****ing ABSURD !!

I've reworked many lead free boards with lead solder, and we use 100's
of thousands of ROHS parts with good old 63/37.

** Same here.

...... Phil