Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Lead free solder

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily"

I don't know whereabouts in the world you
are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use
leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured
in
lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June
2006 (I
think) in the UK.

I think that's one of mine ...

** Find me one example of a person being successfully prosecuted over it.

Did I say that there was ? No.

There is virtually no way to get caught, no easy way for outsiders to know
and nobody gives a ****.

Nor did I say otherwise, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a possibility,
or that I am stating anything other than the facts. Look up the meaning of
your own word - "virtually". I suppose the poor ******* who got thrown in
prison here for selling his bananas by the pound instead of the kilo thought
the same thing. And if you don't know of that in Ozland, look up Steve
Thoburn. The fact of the matter is that it *is* illegal within the EU under
the terms of the directive, to carry out repairs to RoHS certified equipment
manufactured after June 2006 and using RoHS certified components and
lead-free solder, with anything other than RoHS certified components and
lead-free solder. None of us like it. All of us think it is stupid. But none
of that changes the facts. Nor does you running off at the mouth in your
usual way about how big and brave you are and don't give a ****. The *real*
fact of the matter is that you never know just who's spying on you via the
'net these days, and if one of the ecobollox EU people found someone on here
from the EU telling all how they also "don't give a ****", then you might
just finish up having your example of someone successfully prosecuted ... As
you don't live in the EU, you know nothing of the levels of bureaucracy and
petty mindedness of these officials.

Arfa

.... Phil