Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chet Chet is offline

Default How would you do this?

Guys, thanks for all the useful info!
I'm going to try the outlet box removal trick, an access hole in the ceiling
next to the wall to route the wire, and the installation of an 'Old Work'
outlet box for fans...
Still not sure how I'm going to deal with a 'waterfall' of loose insulation
when I make both holes, especially the part about putting it back!
If I pull it off, I'll post the process...
Chet

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chet" wrote:

I want to install a ceiling fan in our master bedroom where there is no
outlet box.
While we have a partial basement, our master bedroom is built on a slab
extension.
As best I can tell, the wires from the breaker box are routed above the
wall
framing.
There are electrical outlets along the inside walls, so I can ultimately
tap
into one of them.
However, the previous owner had several feet of loose insulation blown
into
the attic space.
Any suggestions on getting a wire from the inside wall to the center of
he
bedroom ceiling?
My current plan is to make the hole for the outlet box, make an access
hole
near the top of the wall near the designated outlet, and run wires
through
each hole, hoping to catch one with a hook, but I'd be flying blind...
Thanks for your suggestions!
Chet

Thank heavens you can even get to the attic, and take a respirator and a
shovel with you. Dig down to the ceiling, put your fan box with supports
in, (don't be putting in a fan without a properly anchored and supported
box - if you didn't have an attic, you'd need to put in a good sized
hole in the ceiling and then patch it) and run the wire to the wall. If
the wire is, in fact, above the wall framing, you can put in a junction
box there and not even have to get into the walls. Then shovel the
insulation back where it came from.

In general, it's good to be comfortable with drywall repairs if doing
electrical in an already-built house. In this case, you might get away
without it.