Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT The Cloud

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
A DVD blank is 4.7GB, and you're not putting it on someone else's
server. Alternately, an extra HDD is dirt cheap these days.

Yep. Pretty cheap.

There's a current ad on Houston Craigslist for 40Gig hard drives at
$11 each. Hundreds in stock (I've seen 'em).

The dude buys computers that come back off of lease and almost all
the computers he purchases have no hard drives. So he buys container
loads of refurbished (?) drives to install in these back-from-lease
machines.

Me? I'm content to use the 40Gig hard drives I find in the bottom of
CrackerJack boxes.

With the price of external hard drives going from about $ 50 to $ 80
for a 500 GB to 1K GB, it is even cheaper to buy them new. Also you
just plug them into the usb port.
I still like the dvds for the important stuff. Guess that I am one of
those that make several backups.

Anyone done any studies on HOW LONG a home-burned DVD will last?
I burned some CD-Roms,and they didn't last more than a couple of years and
then were unreadable.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik