Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The Cloud

On 4/22/2011 1:08 PM Frank spake thus:

On 4/22/2011 2:35 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Although "The Cloud" is not something I consider secure, I have
found a use for it. Google docs gives you 5 gig of storage. I
have started scanning receipts and putting them on "The Cloud"
This will come in handy if I have an insurance claim or warranty
claim.

If you scan the image as a jpg, you can use MsPaint to black out
any credit card info.

I also use Yahoo calendar to record big purchases with a 1 year
reminder. This is a pretty good way to keep up with how long
something is under warranty.

I got Carbonite. It automatically backs up all files on your computer
for $55/year. I was mostly concerned about loss of business records and
email and consider it a business expense. It was getting tiresome
putting stuff on DVD's and while I could have a ton of storage on my
websites or isp, I'd still have to upload. Carbonite does it
automatically every time a new file is added or an old one changed.

So how secure is it? Any way someone can snoop on your private stuff?

I don't think I'd ever trust "the cloud". I like knowing exactly where
my data is, and who has access to it.

--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
nuttin
wan2 hang