Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default O.T. Solar power.

Mark wrote:
I have a 4 Kw array. So I should generate 3400
Kwh,
worth about £1650 if all is taken into account.

they don't generate this peak all the time. they generate power on an almost
perfect bell curve, because of both the tilt (or lack of it) and the height
of the sun in the sky. you generate the most when it's between 1100 and
1300, tailing off to the ends of the solar day where it generates 0.

you also generate less during winter months than summer (in the N
hemisphere), again because of the tilt and shorter days).

other factors:
- the temperature of the panels (they generate less when it's hotter)
- passing clouds/rain
- dust deposits on the panels (i can get a 3-4% increase just by washing
them)

on a good day currently, my 7.7kw installation generates about 52 kwh/day.
in the last 10 months since turnon date, i've generated 1.2mwh, but i live
in a very sunny part of the world.

if i did my math right that is £0.48 per Kwh or about $US 0.77 per
Kwh.

Is that what you pay for electricity over there?...

or is that what they pay you for the electricity you generate?

That's about 5x what I pay. (in the US)

If that is true, then yes a PV solar panel may be a good idea.

Mark