Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Lead free solder

Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?
** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal cycling,
stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And would not give a **** if it was.

.... Phil

Well....
I found this:
Begin quote
.. I don't know whereabouts in the world you
are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use
leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured in
lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June 2006 (I
think) in the UK.
end quote.

so I asked...rather politely...I think...

I give the above quote more credence as it is not riddled with name calling
and four-letter terms of endearment. Also, the tone is quite civil.

Hmmmm...civil...I should find a word with which you'd likely be
familiar? It's about being nice to people.

Note that I didn't ask if YOU cared. I asked if there were issues.