Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How would you do this?

"ATP" wrote in message

. 3.70...
"Chet" fired this volley in
:

My current plan is to make the hole for the outlet box, make an access
hole near the top of the wall near the designated outlet, and run
wires through each hole, hoping to catch one with a hook, but I'd be
flying blind... Thanks for your suggestions!

"Flying blind" is kind of how wire fishing is done. It is a skill best
learned by doing.

Generally, a wire is fished down the wall through a hole in the header.
You may simplify your work by removing the old outlet box completely (a
task in itself to remove it without either cutting the wires accidently
or destroying the wall).

After removing the old box, you'll have a nice big "port" in the wall
through which to work. The easiest way to fish that sort of "drop" is,
in fact, to DROP a weighted line through the header down to the outlet
hole, then hook it out and pull the wire through.

In this sort of retro-fit, you'll end up violating code, because you
cannot staple the wire to the adjacent stud near the outlet box. The
only way you can do that is to cut out a large enough section of drywall
to do the stapling, then repair the wall. But if you're going to all
that trouble, then the fishing job becomes a lot easier. The other
alternative might be to run conduit down to the box. Current Code isn't
something I keep close tabs on, since I haven't done any electrical
wiring changes in about ten years, and then only for myself.

You're going to have to steel yourself to working in that pile of
insulation... you have no choice. Take a small garden rake or a small
pitchfork up there with you to remove insulation from the work area
without compacting it.

LLoyd

The NEC allowed an exception for this case, at least up to 1990 when I got
my license. As a practical matter I can't see that changing for retrofit
outlet boxes. A pivoting mirror and a flashlight also helps for fishing in
wires. Insulation and bridging are a bitch to work around.

One comment on the insulation: If it's blown-in, it's probably chopped
fiberglass or cellulose. But if it's poured-in vermiculite, and if it was
done before 1993 or so, watch out. There's a 70% chance that it contains a
lot of asbestos -- as much as 5%. If it was poured in after that date,
you're probably in the clear.

--
Ed Huntress (Another home handyman who treasures his fishtapes. g)