Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default No-alci fuel for small engines

LSMFT wrote:
Hell Toupee wrote:
On 4/18/2011 7:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:
From Popular Mechanics:

"Small-engine repairmen tell PM that ethanol mixed with gasoline is
corroding and damaging chain saws, string trimmers and other outdoor
equipment at an alarming clip. As a result, a new market is growing
in U.S.
hardware stores: Ethanol-free gas packaged in small cans that sell
at a premium but promise to make your small engines last."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...lick=pm_latest

Urban legend. Those of us who live in states that have had 10%
ethanol/gasoline fuel for decades now have not had any problems with
it -- though for those who still insist, the gov't still allows gas
stations to sell pure gasoline for small engines, boats, and classic
cars. Just get it from the pump so labeled.

My snowblower has only ever had the E10 ethanol gas used in it.
Bought it in 1985. Still starts on the first pull. My brother-in-law
uses the ethanol fuel mix in his chainsaws with the same result:
there are no problems.

These claims made the rounds back in the 80s when the fuel mixture
changed. They've resurrected now because of the introduction of E15
and E20 ethanol mixtures into the marketplace. But the
higher-percentage ethanol mixtures are rarely offered, so they're
easy to avoid. As for the E10 mix, there's no issue with it.

If it don't frig up your car or truck or motorcycle why should it frig
up your lawn mower or leaf blower? I've had no trouble. I don't drain
nothing, starts every year just fine.

As the article said, automobiles do not use plastic or rubber parts
sensitive to alcohol and are equipped with computers that drive the fuel
injectors.