Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

On 4/17/2011 11:57 AM, Ignoramus29059 wrote:
This morning started out really great. I did not lift anything
heavy. Drove somewhere in my pickup to pick a tool box. When I got out
of the truck, just after 30 minutes of driving, I had sudden back pain
and could not stand up straight without some pain.

For the next 2 hours, I could function, move around and carry things,
but with substantial discomfort.

Then I tried to turn a toolbox around, kind of pushed with one hand in
one direction. Then the pain suddenly became so severe that I could
barely walk. Barely made it to the couch, where I am right now,
totally out of commission.

WTF is wrong and does anyone have any idea if this will ever go away.

Let me guess. You're over 40, right? Welcome to the new world of being
old. The back is one of the first things to go. After 40 your discs have
degenerated to the point where you will most likely have problems from
now on. It's not a matter of if but a matter of how often and how bad.
I've had a bad back for decades.

In your specific case you most likely have a disc bulge or what they
call a slipped disc, or a pinched nerve. But if you're lucky it's just a
muscular problem. The first thing you need to do is get yourself to a
chiropractor. Find a good one and he will be able to diagnose what your
problem is. But like I said, I have had a bad back for years so I know
what you're feeling. When your back goes out your life is over. If it's
bad enough you will not be able to do anything and you will feel very
bad pain. Sitting on the toilet can be torture.

You can rest, go to the doctor, put ice on it, but the chiropractor is
who to go see. Don't listen to people who tell you they don't help. They
do. The other thing you can do is get an inversion table. I've been
using one for the last 3 years and it has done wonders for my low back.
It's saved me thousands in chiropractor bills. Life with a bad back is
miserable. This is your first episode. You need to find a chiropractor
and get some treatment. Don't go to the doctor. All they do is tell you
to rest and give you muscle relaxers, which do you no good.

Hawke