Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Water Heater Won't Stay Lit

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:25:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 18, 1:03*pm, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

Clean the flame sensor...

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s...ter%20Problem/

I cleaned it with 100-grit sandpaper. I uploaded the results to the

I've never had a gas water heater, but is 100-grit sandpaper really
the way to clean it? I have an oil furnace and I just use a paper
towel to clean the flame sensor.

photo album. Reinstalled the burner assembly...still doesn't work.
Now it will only stay on as long as I actually hold the button down.

Is it expected for the thermocouple to be soldered in place? I think
I have to replace it now, but have no soldering equipment.