Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

On 4/18/2011 1:07 AM, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Dont go near Doctors, Surgeons, they are bad people, will totally
stuff you around.

When I experienced partial paralysis, which only lasted a day or so, but
left my leg almost totally numb for weeks, my doctor had me set up an
appointment with a surgeon ASAP. I was looking at a week wait to get in,
and in that week, I heard horror story after horror story about back
surgery. Out of several dozen stories, only one success, several with no
improvement, most ended up worse. So I canceled my appt with the surgeon
and went to a chiropractor.
I got immediate improvement, with gradual improvement over the next 6-8
months. From that point on, it was the massage that really helped, and
since Dr Pain was recommending it, Workman's Comp paid for it. Weekly
massage for a year, that was nice. Ultimately WC settled up with me and
that ended that.

Only downside I can see to not having gone to the surgeon is I would
have had a CAT scan done and that would have shown far better than any
x-ray what was going on. But I survived, and within reason for my
present age, I can do almost anything I used to be able to do prior to
injury.

Just don't get hooked up with a chiropractor that seems to want you on a
steady repeat customer basis. You want relief, not contribute to his
vacation condo. One time Dr Pain had to step out just as I was let into
his office. While waiting, I picked up a trade magazine, lead article
was on how to build a steady flow of long term repeat customers.
The rep for chiropractors doing this is not baseless, but not all
subscribe to it.

Oh, and I did find acupuncture helpful too,

Jon