Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Sudden very sharp back pain

Iggy,

Backs are funny things. That could have resulted from stressing it some
time well before it went out on you.

Long hot bath. Heating pad when you're not in the tub. Chiropractor for
a few sessions. A really good one will tell you roughly how many
sessions they think it'll take to square you away. No shortage of
chiropractors that will keep you coming as long as they can. Been there,
done that. The one that I went to when I injured my back years ago, I
took to calling Dr Pain. To his face.

For me, deep muscle massage was the only thing I found that really
worked. So long as I had one about every week, for several years. (not a
bad thing really!) But wait until you're not hurting before trying that,
and be sure to tell the masseuse about your back.

Electrostim gadgets can help too, but personally I don't enjoy the
sensation of borderline electrocution... G

One exercise you can do is to stand with your back to the wall. Tighten
your gut muscles and straighten your lower back against the wall best
you can. Be sure to breath while doing this, I was warned holding one's
breath will cause blood pressure to skyrocket.

Couple years ago, I moved a 4000lb mill into my garage from about 8'
out, and I have a very uneven driveway right in front of the house. No
real problem. I've thrown my back out by simply turning my upper body
and been in pain for days. If this recurs, pay attention to what you've
been doing prior, see if you can't figure out what's causing it.

I suspect you stressed it, and something about your posture while
driving, put things over the edge.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Back problems are no damned fun.

Jon