Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default radio interference

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 03:23:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:57*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Seriously, folks. If Karl REALLY needs to monitor the temperature
CONSTANTLY, then all this shielding and grounding and filtering would
be the way to go, BUT, how fast is the temperature going to change? A
couple of lines of code and you can toggle DTR when you want a
reading. I can't imagine any drastic temperature changes occurring in
less than a few minutes. Just take a reading and go to sleep for a
while. Nobody's going to notice a tiny burst of RF every 15 minutes.

yep, I need ten readings an hour. This unit has a chip programmed to
sample constantly. The computer fires up once every six minutes and
records a reading.

I played with 1wire, a DS1820, and visual basic. I was not able to
make it work. Not my area of expertise. I'm going to get another
chance as i need to read an anolog voltage for a leaf wetness meter
too.

I should be able to install a shielded cable in a couple hours.

Karl

If, between readings, you make sure that DTR goes low, the remote unit
will have no power and won't transmit anything.

Would you be willing to provide an example in visual basic? If I could
get an example of how to shut it off for five minutes and then take a
reading, I could take it from there. Sorry VB6 is the only language I
have ANY knowledge.

Karl