Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default radio interference

On Apr 16, 6:18*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:26:42 -0500, Karl Townsend

wrote:
I built a serial port temp. sensor years ago based on this fella's
work:
http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

And just bought kit 145 from carl's electronics:
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k145.pdf

The unit uses DS1820 temp sensors and connects to the pc serial port.
There is a fifty foot run from the computer to the sensor.

My better half made me quit using it because of AM radio interference.
There is a constant beep beep beep.

I'm once again in need of 24 X 7 temp. logging. Is there an easy way
to salvage this unit? Or am I better off to just start over with some
sort of analog unit?

Karl

Thanks for all the tips, everybody. I'll first move up to twisted pair
shielded cable and ground the shield at the computer end. I'll test it
just laying out the window. If it still gives trouble, I'll change
from the office computer to the sales room computer for monitoring.
Its 40 yards from the house

I'm coming in kinda late here, but how rapidly do you expect your
greenhouse temperature to change? a "constant beep beep beep" suggests
that you're taking temperature readings, well, constantly. I'd think
that sampling every few minutes would be more than often enough, and
your wife wouldn't notice the single "beeps" if they were sufficiently
spaced.

No hardware changes required. All you have to do is awitch DTR high
when you want data and low when you don't.

Hope this helps.