Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
amdx amdx is offline

Default radio interference

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I built a serial port temp. sensor years ago based on this fella's
work:
http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

And just bought kit 145 from carl's electronics:
http://www.kitsrus.com/pdf/k145.pdf

The unit uses DS1820 temp sensors and connects to the pc serial port.
There is a fifty foot run from the computer to the sensor.

My better half made me quit using it because of AM radio interference.
There is a constant beep beep beep.

I'm once again in need of 24 X 7 temp. logging. Is there an easy way
to salvage this unit? Or am I better off to just start over with some
sort of analog unit?

Karl

Hi Karl,
I've been running a 1 wire system using DS18S20s driven by a DS9097U
for over three years and haven't had any AM radio interference. I am
a AM radio listener with about six radios that are spread around the house.
I have two bedside radios I use at night for weak signals, so if I had
interference
I would have tracked it down in short order.
I have 13 freezers that I monitor on a real time basis, although the
program I use
will save and graph data.
You might look up the DS9097U as a driver unit. But I think now they have
went to
USB connections so the numbers may change.
The program I use is Lampomitari, it does exactly what I wanted but
probably not
the best or easiest program to use.
I'll check in when I have more time to see if I can get you more info.
Miikek