Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Don Bruder Don Bruder is offline

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

I think that there _are_ handpumps working a sucker rod. I don't know
how much force would be required to lift water that far though.

Harry K

'Twould depend on the exact details of the specific well - with the
right (or wrong, depending on your outlook) combination of pipe size and
well depth, you could be talking about moving a water column weighing in
at anywhere from a few dozen pounds to more than a ton. Use a real
skinny pipe and you get a fairly light water column (for a given depth),
but you can only cram so much water through it. Use a big pipe at the
same depth for more flow and you need more "oomph" to move the larger,
and therefore heavier, water column. Likewise, deeper hole means more
water in the pipe so unless you "skinny up" the pipe to compensate for
the change in depth, you again need more "oomph" to get the water moving.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me