Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

We have a submersible pump in a 125' well to provide water to the
house. The water just stopped last night while my wife was preparing
dinner. Since the pump is only five years old, I suspected the
pressure-sensing-relay-switching thing. After checking which lines in
the gizmo had power, I was even more convinced. A few taps with the
ball peen hammer didn't fix it so we got the plumber out this morning.
He confirmed my suspicions and $497 later we had water again.

In an emergency we can bring pails of water from the pump house down
by the barn but that's a hundred yards down the lane. My wife
suggested putting an old-fashioned hand pump on the house well head in
the back yard, which would be much closer. That would be decorative
and functional, a clever idea I thought.

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , Pavel314 wrote:
We have a submersible pump in a 125' well to provide water to the
house. The water just stopped last night while my wife was preparing
dinner. [...]
My wife
suggested putting an old-fashioned hand pump on the house well head in
the back yard, which would be much closer. That would be decorative
and functional, a clever idea I thought.

Is that possible?

No.

I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe.

The maximum depth from which water can be raised by any pump that relies on
suction is approximately 34 feet. That's because suction pumps raise water in
a tube by creating a partial vacuum above the water; atmospheric pressure
forces the water up the tube. Atmospheric pressure will support a water column
no higher than 10.34 meters, or about 34 feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , "Pico Rico" wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 10:49*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , "Pico Rico" wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was pretty sure that a hand pump had
a limited range. The 12-volt pump is a clever idea.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 10:49*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , "Pico Rico" wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

I have a friend who had a 150 foot deep well and put a hand pump on
it, he had city water this was a back up ........

very hard work pumpingthe water, he finally put a electric motor with
inverter on it.

you would sweat more water pumping it than what you would get from the
well
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 4/13/2011 10:00 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:49 am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In , "Pico wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

Note that the pump head pressure is around 60 psi just to get the water
out of the well. It would probably have to be positive displacement
(piston) and very low flow rates. Also consider voltage drop on the
wires to the pump.

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

I have a friend who had a 150 foot deep well and put a hand pump on
it, he had city water this was a back up ........

How do you hand pump a 150 ft well. Doug explained the physics. Or was
the pump 120 or more feet down the well with an operating rod to the
surface?

very hard work pumpingthe water, he finally put a electric motor with
inverter on it.

you would sweat more water pumping it than what you would get from the
well

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
[...]

Well how do those oil well pumps pump up the oil? It's just a hand pump
with a big motor and cam wheel.

--
All is as it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Pico Rico"
wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

LSMFT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In
,
wrote:
[...]

And counterweight. If the pump is below the water level, it works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm- Hide quoted text -

Of course the problem then becomes how practical it is as a temporary
emergency solution. You can't have the submersible and those deep
well hand pumps in the typical well at the same time. So you'd have
to pull the failed sumbersible first. At that point, it would seem to
me
a better solution would be to have a spare pump on hand.

Or just use bottled water until the pump can be replaced.

The real tragedy here is the OP apparenlty figured out it was the
pressure switch and then still wound up calling a well company
and paying $450. With just a little more investigating and testing
he could have figured it out for sure and replaced it for $30.
Sounds about $300 too high.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm- Hide quoted text -

Of course the problem then becomes how practical it is as a temporary
emergency solution. You can't have the submersible and those deep
well hand pumps in the typical well at the same time.

why not?

The real tragedy here is the OP apparenlty figured out it was the
pressure switch and then still wound up calling a well company
and paying $450. With just a little more investigating and testing
he could have figured it out for sure and replaced it for $30.
Sounds about $300 too high.

yes, I thought that same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , LSMFT wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In

,
wrote:
[...]

Not by suction, if it's coming from more than 10.34 meters below the surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

[...]

Sounds about $300 too high.- Hide quoted text -

I entirely agree, but I have occasional tragedies of this nature,
mostly due to having the day job. Sometimes you just can't take off
because of deadlines and meetings and other obligations so you pay the
fee to have someone else do it.

Occasionally, I'll take off to fix something but sometimes I get
caught in the cascading repair syndrome. You may have done this too.
You're sure that Part A is causing the problem so you run up to the
parts store and get a new Part A. After installation, the thing still
doesn't work so you go back and get Part B. After installation, it
still doesn't work but it's lunchtime. After lunch, you go back to buy
Part C, which has to work because it's the only thing you haven't
replaced yet. You finish as the Sun sets and push the start button;
still no go. So you call the repairman and he comes out the next
morning and fixes it for $497. Plus the wasted day and $200 in Parts
A, B and C.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/13/2011 10:47 AM, LSMFT wrote:

Well how do those oil well pumps pump up the oil? It's just a hand pump
with a big motor and cam wheel.

No, it isn't...

The rocking beam or pumpjack pumps are sucker rods that lift the oil.
Very much like the sucker rods of an old windmill except larger scale.

Didn't find a quick illustration of workings of oil pumpjack; principle
is same as shown in this link for water.

http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Pump-System.html

Newer wells may use hydraulic lift or even have jet pumps installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/13/2011 12:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Not by suction, if it's coming from more than 10.34 meters below the surface.

Excepting for the density difference, of course...

Altho afaik, no oil wells use suction pumps even if were within the
range of lift which would be theoretically possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 8:00*am, Pavel314 wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:49*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "Pico Rico" wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was pretty sure that a hand pump had
a limited range. The 12-volt pump is a clever idea.

Paul- Hide quoted text -

I think that there _are_ handpumps working a sucker rod. I don't know
how much force would be required to lift water that far though.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 10:57*am, Pavel314 wrote:

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/wat...htm-Hidequoted text -

[...]

Yep, even paying plumber prices unless he had a long drive that fee
was out of line. Should have taken way less that 30 minutes to
replace the pressure switch. New pressure switches should be a
standard part of the stuff in his truck. Disconnect three wires,
unscrew old, screw on new, reconnect thee wires.

On personal stupidity. Last fall I had one replace the flush
mechanism on the toilet (Toto so I was unfamiliar with the system)
Turned out It was the usual simple replacement though. Then to
compound the problem I asked him to look at a frostfree standpipe that
would produce flow. Decided it needed replacement. He had his shovel
on his shoulder headed for it when I came to my senses and realized I
was about to pay plumber prices for sweat labor and stopped him.
Replaced it myself the next day at an hours work.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 7:12*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

Errm..theoretical at sea level. Practical is 26ft at sea level due to
system losses and then the decrease with increased elevation.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , dpb wrote:
On 4/13/2011 12:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Not by suction, if it's coming from more than 10.34 meters below the surface.

Excepting for the density difference, of course...

Yeah, forgot about that. Crude oil's pretty dense, though. Less dense than
water, but not by much IIRC. Say 12 meters or so.

Altho afaik, no oil wells use suction pumps even if were within the
range of lift which would be theoretically possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 12:53*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm-Hide quoted text -

Of course the problem then becomes how practical it is as a temporary
emergency solution. *You can't have the submersible and those deep
well hand pumps in the typical well at the same time.

why not?

I assumed the hand pump was large enough around that
it would not fit in the typical 4" casing with a submesible at
the same time. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it
will, theoretically, at least, with the hand pump winding
up above the sub. I'd still be a bit nervous about
lowering it down into a well that uses the typical poly pipe,
because I would be concerned about the two pipes/pumps
winding up tangled and stuck somehow. Also, newer
wells use a pitless adapter, so if the hand pump goes in
from the top, will it fit past the pitless adaptor?

But the main point is, why bother? At the end of spending
a lot of money and time, you still have a hand pump. I'd
just buy 20 gallons of water to get me through getting the
pump replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:
In , "Pico *wrote:

[...]

well- Hide quoted text -

It was a lift pump with a long rod operating the pump at the bottom...
a real bear to assemble, right after he got it working some dirt got
in the foot valve at the bottom and he ended up pulling the whole
thing up
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 3:12*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

pump replaced.- Hide quoted text -

many homes with wells have more than one well. a new well was drilled
deeper in the past.

a ideal candidate for a hand pump looks all awesome and retro, and is
a back up for no power or bad pump situations
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 13, 10:00*am, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Besides what others have said, there are spacers every so often
attached to your piping and wiring that go down in the well to keep
them from vibrating against the well casing. In other words, there
isn't enough room to put more pipe or wires.

Forget it. It isn't worth the effort or expense.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

I think that there _are_ handpumps working a sucker rod. I don't know
how much force would be required to lift water that far though.

Harry K

'Twould depend on the exact details of the specific well - with the
right (or wrong, depending on your outlook) combination of pipe size and
well depth, you could be talking about moving a water column weighing in
at anywhere from a few dozen pounds to more than a ton. Use a real
skinny pipe and you get a fairly light water column (for a given depth),
but you can only cram so much water through it. Use a big pipe at the
same depth for more flow and you need more "oomph" to move the larger,
and therefore heavier, water column. Likewise, deeper hole means more
water in the pipe so unless you "skinny up" the pipe to compensate for
the change in depth, you again need more "oomph" to get the water moving.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 4/13/2011 10:00 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Most folks that can have two pumps. One in Use an one to swap out which
is pretty quick if you have the stuff ready. I don;t much care for a
submersible under a house etc, It needs a seperaet well house, well made
and insulated with switches and heaters and tall enough, if needed and
spare pum, small hoist arrangement, and water filter system or softner.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 14, 10:35*pm, Lil Abner wrote:
[...]

spare pum, small hoist arrangement, and water filter system or softner.- Hide quoted text -

A well house is the next to last place to install the equipment (under
house is worst). You want that equipment where it is easily
serviceable and protectedf rom freezing without additional heat. Put
the pump controls, pressure tank and filters in the house if at all
possible. I worked on these systems off and one for 50 years. Hated
every one of those "crawl down into the well houise and try to find
room to work" abortions.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article
,
Harry K wrote:

A well house is the next to last place to install the equipment (under
house is worst). You want that equipment where it is easily
serviceable and protectedf rom freezing without additional heat. Put
the pump controls, pressure tank and filters in the house if at all
possible. I worked on these systems off and one for 50 years. Hated
every one of those "crawl down into the well houise and try to find
room to work" abortions.

Who's to say the well house can't be 3500 square feet, with climate
control, plentiful lighting, a big screen TV, a pool table, a fully
stocked bar, and some strippers to hand you tools. (I mean, after
they've rubbed the tools in "those" places.)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 15, 6:52*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Harry K wrote:

A well house is the next to last place to install the equipment (under
house is worst). *You want that equipment where it is easily
serviceable and protectedf rom freezing without additional heat. *Put
the pump controls, pressure tank and filters in the house if at all
possible. *I worked on these systems off and one for 50 years. *Hated
every one of those "crawl down into the well houise and try to find
room to work" abortions.

Who's to say the well house can't be 3500 square feet, with climate
control, plentiful lighting, a big screen TV, a pool table, a fully
stocked bar, and some strippers to hand you tools. (I mean, after
they've rubbed the tools in "those" places.)

Ah, the dream well house of the person who has to work in one!!

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 15, 1:11*pm, Harry K wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Depends on the well house. My father in law built one that could be
slid out of the way on a steel track. Before that he had one that
tilted backwards out of the way.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Apr 15, 8:34*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 15, 1:11*pm, Harry K wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

And had he put the 'works' in the basement he could have saved all
that expense...assuming he had a basement of course. Most reasonable
size houses with no basement have sufficient room to install the
'works' in whatever is used for the laundry. Doesn't take much.

Harry K