Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

On Apr 13, 3:12*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 13, 12:53*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/wat...htm-Hidequoted text -

Of course the problem then becomes how practical it is as a temporary
emergency solution. *You can't have the submersible and those deep
well hand pumps in the typical well at the same time.

why not?

I assumed the hand pump was large enough around that
it would not fit in the typical 4" casing with a submesible at
the same time. * Upon closer inspection, it looks like it
will, theoretically, at least, with the hand pump winding
up above the sub. *I'd still be a bit nervous about
lowering it down into a well that uses the typical poly pipe,
because I would be concerned about the two pipes/pumps
winding up tangled and stuck somehow. *Also, newer
wells use a pitless adapter, so if the hand pump goes in
from the top, will it fit past the pitless adaptor?

But the main point is, why bother? * At the end of spending
a lot of money and time, you still have a hand pump. *I'd
just buy 20 gallons of water to get me through getting the
pump replaced.- Hide quoted text -

many homes with wells have more than one well. a new well was drilled
deeper in the past.

a ideal candidate for a hand pump looks all awesome and retro, and is
a back up for no power or bad pump situations