Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

On Apr 13, 12:53*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle
power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's
completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

it depends what kind of pump you use.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/waterpumps.htm-Hide quoted text -

Of course the problem then becomes how practical it is as a temporary
emergency solution. *You can't have the submersible and those deep
well hand pumps in the typical well at the same time.

why not?

I assumed the hand pump was large enough around that
it would not fit in the typical 4" casing with a submesible at
the same time. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it
will, theoretically, at least, with the hand pump winding
up above the sub. I'd still be a bit nervous about
lowering it down into a well that uses the typical poly pipe,
because I would be concerned about the two pipes/pumps
winding up tangled and stuck somehow. Also, newer
wells use a pitless adapter, so if the hand pump goes in
from the top, will it fit past the pitless adaptor?

But the main point is, why bother? At the end of spending
a lot of money and time, you still have a hand pump. I'd
just buy 20 gallons of water to get me through getting the
pump replaced.