Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

On 4/13/2011 10:00 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:49 am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In , "Pico wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

Note that the pump head pressure is around 60 psi just to get the water
out of the well. It would probably have to be positive displacement
(piston) and very low flow rates. Also consider voltage drop on the
wires to the pump.

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

I have a friend who had a 150 foot deep well and put a hand pump on
it, he had city water this was a back up ........

How do you hand pump a 150 ft well. Doug explained the physics. Or was
the pump 120 or more feet down the well with an operating rod to the
surface?

very hard work pumpingthe water, he finally put a electric motor with
inverter on it.

you would sweat more water pumping it than what you would get from the
well