Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Hand Pump on Deep Well

On Apr 13, 10:49*am, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
In article , "Pico Rico" wrote:

Is that possible? I thought of dropping a 125' hose down the well
shaft and attaching it to a hand pump up top but don't hand pumps only
work to a depth of 15' or so? Something to do with air pressure I
believe. Even if it worked at that depth, we'd have to remove the hand
pump and hose if the submersible pump ever needed repair or
replacement, but that only happens about every 15 or 20 years.

Opinions appreciated.

How about dropping a small 12 volt pump down the well - why use muscle power
when you could connect a battery?

He's going to have to put something down the well, anyway -- it's completely
impossible to pull water from that depth with a hand pump.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was pretty sure that a hand pump had
a limited range. The 12-volt pump is a clever idea.

Paul