Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Ackman Steve Ackman is offline

Default 2011 Census

Apparently the 2010 Census has unlimited funding and
will now be a continuous agency. Anyway, that's the
way it seems from here.

1) Last year a census worker knocked on our door in
Shiprock, NM, asked a few questions, and left. I
thought, "Oh, we lucked out and got the short form
this decade."

2) A month or so later, another census worker knocked
on the door, saying that the first worker didn't do
a satisfactory job. Asked a few more questions, but
still, not more than a couple minutes.

3) After we'd moved here, (probably in Aug.) a
pair of census workers showed up with a laptop and
program with a LONG set of questions, many of which
were redundant and even ridiculous. It took at least
twenty minutes. Idiocy such as "Are you male or
female?" Or on and on asking the same thing in
different ways...
"Were you living here on April 1st?"
"No, we were in Shiprock, NM."
"Where did you live on April 1st"
"I just said, Shiprock, NM."
"How long have you lived here?"
"Oh, about two months."
"Did you or any of your household live elsewhere on April 1st?"
"I just told you... We were in Shiprock, so obviously, yes."
"Which of your household lived elsewhere on April 1st?"
"We both did."
"Do you spend time between multiple residences during the course of the year?"
"No."
"Were you spending time at another of your residences on April 1st?"
"ARGH!" (Yes, I actually did make a noise approximating that)

About then I wanted to slam the door in their faces,
but knew they (or someone else) would just be back
later. I sighed, sucked it up, and continued with
the most idiotic exchange you can possibly imagine.

4) A little over a month ago or so, a census worker
showed up with a clipboard and asked my wife more
questions. (I wasn't home at the time and about the
only thing my wife reported was that the woman was
nice.)

5) About two weeks ago, fairly early in the morning,
there was a knock at the door. I was in my bathrobe,
so ignored it... but the knocking was persistent, so
I looked out the window. It was a census worker. I
went and got dressed, but by the time I got to the
door, the census worker was gone.

6) Yesterday I found a Census 2010 Notice of Visit
Form D-26 in the driveway "informing" that Gloria
Mahle had visited. I have no idea when she visited,
or even if it was our house. For all I know, this
could have blown over from next door or down the
street somewhere.

Will this stupid census EVER be completed? Or will
they count us in Shiprock, and then again here, and
then again wherever we move next? How many frelling
Census interviews does it take?