Mark & Juanita

Default Thoughts On Why We Are Getting Our Ass Kicked

In article laWUb.4832$Qa3.3887@edtnps89, says...
What H-1B problem Mark?

Rob

H1-B's are the visas used to import foreign professional jobs. There
has been a quota on the number of those visas that are permitted to be
issued per year. Cries of "engineer shortage" from various industries
led to raising the quota on H1-Bs. The original idea was to allow
hiring foreign workers when no domestic professionals are available to
fill job openings. The employer must advertise and be able to prove
that there are no qualified domestic professionals to be had in order to
get an H1-B worker. What has happened is some employers will advertise
for a ridiculous position, such as a mechanical engineer with 10 years
of experience, finite element modeling experience, and a PhD, salary:
$42k per year. Of course no qualified domestic employee would take that
salary,but there are foreigners who will. Since the quota was raised (I
believe it occurred during about the mid-90's during the ".com boom")