Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default cheep skate carb repair

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:59:28 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:RYSdnWJG89YYsAfQnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@scnresearc h.com...

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Got my gravely rebuild all finished today. Engine runs fairly smooth,
carb. leaks at idle. So, I ordered a rebuild kit as a new carb. is
over $100.

I can see the bushings the throttle butterfly shaft rides in is all
shot. Anybody ever bored and pressed in something to repair this
common problem?

Probably doesn't affect the air/fuel ratio enough to even bother with.

Uh, dunno about this particular engine, but worn throttle shaft bushings
were a common source of "untuneability" in old automobile engines. I've
chased that problem myself, and, yes, making bushing sleeves for an old
Carter carb was one of the very first things I ever did on an engine
lathe.
That carb just ran the throttle shaft in holes drilled in the diecast carb
body.

I cheated a bit and started with brass model aircraft tubing, then turned
it
to fit and cut it off.

This carb. is real cheaply made. It just a drill hole in the pot metal
body. No bushing. Just the throttle lever end needs redone. Its a
slot, not a hole. Other end not too bad.

I think brass bushing is a good idea. Do I dare press it in? Or should
I JBweld it?

karl

Without knowing your carb, I wouldn't say. When I replaced mine I turned
down an old bolt to just fit inside the replacement bushings, leaving a
shoulder to drive it, and drifted them in with a few taps of a light hammer.
But those bushings were trapped on the outside and inside; I didn't have to
worry about them coming loose.

If it were me, I'd see how tight I got the fitting. If it's a good press
fit, I'd drift it in. Otherwise use epoxy -- JB Weld or whatever -- or
Loctite anaerobic thread locker. That's acrylic and it stands up pretty well
around gasoline, as does epoxy.

Good luck!

--
Ed Huntress