Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Foregoing warranty rights

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 14:09:39 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

Why is it that no maker ever gives advice on what to do if your pocket
digital wonder gets accidentally immersed or suffers a spillage ??

Because they want you to destroy their product so that you'll buy a
new one. Every product that is repaired is one less product that is
sold.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
If you're into ecology and conservation, repair is a good thing. If
you're into designed obsolescence, then it's a bad thing.

Get the damn battery OUT immediately - then rinse and dry it pronto.

The common perception among cell phone vendors and manufacturers is
that the condition and disposition of the phone, AFTER IT'S SOLD, is
not their problem. If you trash the phone, unless you've purchased
the overpriced extended equipment warranty, it's your problem, not
theirs. In most cases, they don't even bother to repair the wet
phone, and simply issue a replacement (or try to sell you an upgrade).
I suppose safety might be a possible justification for removing the
battery, but selling the customer a new phone is far more profitable.

I suppose we could include some verbage in the voluminous book of
legal disclaimers and limitations of responsibility that seems to be
included with all consumer products these days. Removing the battery
would fit nicely between "Do not eat the phone" and "Do not go
swimming with your cell phone".

Or, "Do not swim while eating your cell phone..." ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.