Charlie Self

Default Thoughts On Why We Are Getting Our Ass Kicked

mttt responds:

Absolutely the only thing that matters for far too many companies today,

large
and small, is the bottom line. How you get there is becoming totally
irrelevant.

And that is unfortunate.

Enron's, Tyco's aside - it is about making a profit.

No ****. That's no surprise. My statement didn't say there was a damned thing
wrong with making a profit. As someone who has spent all but 14 months since
'68 in business for himself, I realize that's the reason for all the work.

But there are ways to make profits and then there are ways to make more profit.
Too many companies are going for #1. Enron and Tyco and Andersen may be glaring
examples of rotten apples of immense size, but if you look around at tool
manufacturers, for one group, you'll find those who are moving their legal
locations offshore to escape U.S. taxes and others doing similar fun things.
Why? To add another 50 million bucks to the gross profits line.

Sorry, but I do not believe that's ethical, and I do believe it is widespread.

Charlie Self
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other
way." Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html