Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Foregoing warranty rights

"Jeff Liebermann"

Some ****** asked:

What, exactly, are the things you see that
suggest products -- cell phones or otherwise -- are abused?

Mechanical damage, broken hinges, scratched screens, fingernails
through the key tops, mangled connector covers, broken antennas,
cracked earphone connectors, cracked power/accessory connectors, water
damage, dirt, filth, crud, good, pogs, labels, cracked case, bulging
batteries, etc.

** I was given a " Palm Pilot " to fix once.

About two weeks prior to my receiving it - a whole container of yoghurt
( flavour unknown) had leaked over it while in a woman's handbag. The woman
concerned had then only wiped it over with a cloth and noted it did not
work.

She left the battery inside - so of course it was ruined.

My own mobile has copped a spillage of bleach and also of liquid detergent
in a similar way - but by immediately removing the battery and rinsing it
with warm water, it lives to fight another day.

Why is it that no maker ever gives advice on what to do if your pocket
digital wonder gets accidentally immersed or suffers a spillage ??

Get the damn battery OUT immediately - then rinse and dry it pronto.

..... Phil